Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Here's To Right Now

In the midst of a giant, bustling city, the last thing that many of us think to do is to take a day off-- especially when one attends an international university celebrated for the myriad things it has to offer.

I was looking through the student newspaper thinking of student societies to contact and possible sports to play when I took a moment to read Josh's latest blog entry. Josh is a good friend from my Yoga Shakti days and currently lives with his girlfriend in .. North Carolina.. I believe. He wrote an excellent entry on slowing down and enjoying the moment. En Joy. Be joyful, now. Ima. Right now :) As one of my favorite authors, Dan Millman, relates: There's never nothing going on!!

I suppose its more of a personal reflection, but I've found that the most powerful present I can give myself is the desire to be relaxed and happy with my peers; to enjoy what is going on RIGHT NOW. I believe this can be done whether out in the hills and forests of the high sierras, or in line waiting for a club with friends. Being here and now is a continuous practice, and I am thankful to be reminded of it, especially today, Wednesday, a week after arriving here.

So much has happened in a week- so many people met, so many places seen and walked to, so much new information. Today I take a deep breath, sit and watch the clouds go by, and smile at the simple thought of being alive on this beautiful, wonderful world.

In this moment I wish nothing more than for all people to share the joy of being with their own breath. Stay with the little things-- the trees, the clouds, the look on the face of that person who passes you on the street. May we remember the ones we love and share our joy with them, so that it expands exponentially through all our connected social circles, and brings happiness to the world.

I'm not sure why I'm writing this, but I am happy to share it, and offer this prayer to my friends, my family, my new colleagues: may we be happy. May we be at peace. May we be right here, right now, humble, open, and alive.

Thanks Josh.

-T

1 comment:

burkbum said...

Shout out from the Trav -- woot.