Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Here's To Being Chill

Ahh, the final two weeks of the term. The stock market comes to mind: barely-controlled chaos. Tired students file into classes, and sit, silent and mossy, rock-like, as the teachers try to get them to converse about Hume, rights, the ethical associations of civilization.

We don't care. Our eyes are turned inward; fantasies of plane-flights, warm weather, a day or two without the need to read..

I was getting rather caught up in this- still have a 12 page essay on climate change to start. Everything came to a head last night.. all the packing to do, the arrangements to be made, the items to buy, the papers to print out, the essay to write.. at some point, my world exploded, and I found myself, ironically, in a very calm, relaxed state.

I'm not sure what it is-- kind of an 'eye of the hurricane' syndrome. I watch the people zap around me, worried about this and that, and I feel.. oddly light.

I'm blaming it on yoga. Not that I've been practicing a lot lately- but I have been teaching a bi-weekly class here at Rosebery (have about 10 regular students), and while the job doesn't pay much, it is infinitely valuable to me in that it forces me to relax.. chill out.. share the energy I have with others.

In the midst of chaos, I'm actually somewhat happy :) I can only wish the same feeling for all my friends, family, associates, acquaintances, and everybody else-- life is too short to get all caught up in the season. Take a moment. Breathe-- long, deep breaths. Don't worry about where you'll be tomorrow- odds are tomorrow will probably be somewhat unexpectedly different anyways.

Take joy in friendship. Hug your loved ones. Do what you have to do but do it because you CHOOSE to do it, not because you have to. If you have too much to do, don't worry- do what you can.

I have the uncomfortable feeling I sound like a hallmark card. I suppose I am-- in class today I wore a funny hat. I woke up late, slept in, and even though there are so many things to do, I feel oddly resigned; relaxed.

I can only wish the same feeling for others-- or perhaps something even better :)

Hope you all are doing well, staying safe, keeping healthy.

Namaste.

No comments: