Friday, January 23, 2009

Winter Travels, 2008- Kanab

Stop 1: Kanab, Utah

Ahh, the journey back away from the sloggy and ultra-cold biome that is London begins with a trip back to the ol' Chamberlain homestead, where ironically, it's colder than in London! The weekend we were there saw well over 8 inches of snow, which provided for some spectactular views, even if it prevented much in the way of hiking.

Here's the view from Grandma Earth and Grandpa Sky's Window.
I spent a lot of time in front of this while perusing old econ lectures.

A better view from the windows. I can envision Grandpa looking
through various sectors of the glass, noticing the subtle variations
in the natural world beyond.

Grandma Chamberlain poses in front of her Wedding Anniversary Present.
I'm assuming the shirt is camoflauge.

Kanab in the snow.. unbelievable :)

Time with the family was wonderful- it was great to see Brent, Grandma, and Grandpa, even if we didn't get to do too many things. Mostly a lot of sitting around, talking, and also some of the best eatins I've had in a while- that egg-noodle strogonav is to die for, and I must say the Chamberlain household runs, effectively, on massive amounts of sugar. It was actually quite peaceful sleeping on the floor of the living room, because in the morning I would awaken to the smell of old books and artifacts, which was pleasant, and then I would look out the window (pictured above) and watch the birds and the cat 'playing' in the snow outside. A random digression but watching cats in the snow is one of the most fun things.. they gingerly put their paws down each step as if it's painful for them, and when cats run in snow, they bound up more like a slinky, preferring to spend more time in the air then down in the cold white stuff.
I was amused, and elated to capture the rare picture of the Wild Chamberlain
polishing off the chocolate syrup bottle.
Mission Accomplished. Here's to the tenacity of Chamberlain men!

Dad, who was a tad sick while we were there (but tenaciously hung in there nonetheless!)
poses with some green tea, while Grandma knits one of her amazing hats.

Grandma told me her house is like a museum. There are so many artifacts, rocks,
even meteors tucked away in the rooms. These refrigerator magnets were a blast..
if the house were a museum, this would be the gift shop.

More Artifacts: Kachina Dolls

Grandpa had more cool rocks than I knew what to do with.. for a while, I confess
I was 10 years old, collecting my favorite rocks from various places in the house..
What was left was kind of a "rock-blot" of my own aesthetic proclivities..
My favorite rocks, arranged for full effect. Grandpa you'll be glad to know
Ashleigh took the picasso stone, and Bear is holding onto the bear for you :)

Best moment of the trip for me: After a day of driving around in the snow (we went rock-hunting and looked at a GIANT animal rescue center (literally many acres of horses, cats, dogs, etc..)), we ended up back home and got into an Egyptican rock-capturing game, which Grandpa destroyed me in (they're his rocks after all). Then we were all sitting around, and had this nice, warm family moment-- I remember Grandpa saying how grateful he is for Grandma, and how 'patient' she is with him. Underneath the rocks, the eclectic artifacts, and the various projects in the Kanab house, there is a lot of love, and I'm thankful for it.

Christmas Feast Table Setting: Chamberlain Style
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Brent see us off after a relaxing number of days.

One last picture of the Scenery. I can understand why you guys love this place so much.

No comments: